So, I live with a man. A man-boy who eats almost nothing but meat. A man-boy who, if judging only by his food choices, you would think was 12 years old. Making dinner that is tasty and satisfying and even remotely healthy and that Alex will eat is often a challenge.
I found this chili recipe over at Smitten Kitchen and I tried my hand at it. Since I’m not really into following recipes, this is more of an interpretation of the original recipe, but we like it over here at Chez Glam. In fact, I made it almost every Monday night, and we take left-overs for lunch all week. We may be boring, but at least we’re fed and boring.
With out further ado, I give you:
Chez Glam’s Turkey Chili That Even Man-Boys Will Eat, I Promise
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
You will need:
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped or pressed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2.5-3 pounds of extra lean ground turkey
- 1/4 c. chili powder
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp of unsweetened coco powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp crumbled dry oregano
- 1 tbsp ground red pepper
- 1-15 oz. can of diced tomatoes (I use Hunt’s)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar (regular vinegar will work, too)
- 1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
Wine is optional. Sort of. Not really. I highly recommend it.